Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Word on the street in Mississippi - say goodbye to Gulf shrimp and oysters



As the oil continues to snake it's way all over the Gulf, restaurants in Mississippi prepare to order their regular seafood from anywhere other than the Gulf.  At a restaurant in Greenwood, MS, I asked the chef if she would continue to serve her regular catch from the Gulf.  She answered that I can say goodbye to Gulf shrimp and oysters, and to thank goodness for pasteurized crab meat.  Fish caught lower down in the Gulf will still be served. 

Issues of the depletion of our world's seafood have plagued my mind, ever since I read this National Geographic article - Seafood May Be Gone by 2048.  We must continue to support the people of the Gulf, even if we cannot purchase their seafood.  It reminds me once again, to always ask where my seafood was farmed or caught.  I only purchase U.S. farm-raised catfish, when I buy seafood at the grocery store.  At least I know I am supporting U.S. farmers and that my fish wasn't raised in a sewer somewhere without regulations. 

No comments: