Thursday, February 11, 2010

News from Larson's Big Star - don't forget to check out Big Star's selection of goodies for Valentine's Day... Betty Boop Cake!

So I try to purchase whatever I can whenever I can from Larson's Big Star in Oxford.  The simplicity of the shop and the lack of frazzled patrons scurrying about makes Big Star what it is:  the antidote to Kroger.  Big Star may not have sprawling aisles of Valentine's junk, they also have not yet put out Easter (if you're all ready shopping for bunnies head over to Kroger to peruse their dueling Valentine's and Easter aisles) - but Big Star has plenty of candy in their candy aisle - to the far right of the store, a few Valentine's-themed snacks right when you walk in, a multitude of ready made cookies and crackers in the their Always Save aisle, and some awesome cakes and cupcakes in their bakery - check out the Betty Boop cake!!!!  What I wouldn't do for an excuse to buy this:


I hope kids still know of Betty Boop.  She has always been my favorite cartoon character.  If I had an avatar - it would look much like Miss Boop.


Big Star also has some great looking V-day cupcakes, to rival anything that Kroger has come up with!  If you're in a bind and don't have time to pre-order your fancy V-Day sweets from Honey Bee, this is definitely your next best option.


And for your Mardi Gras party - you definitely need this Saints cake! 


Big Star also has a great selection of asian foods!  They have wasabi peas!  I usually buy my wasabi peas from Farmer's Market, but FM sells them in a huge can, and then I'm always stuck with a big can.  I really only use wasabi peas for a goat cheese appetizer that I make, and I'm thinking about switching to Big Star's brand so I don't end up with so many peas leftover.   Here's a pic of my well-encrusted with crushed wasabi peas, goat cheese log:


I simply crush the wasabi peas with a mortar and pestle, then roll a log of goat cheese in the crushed peas, and I present the log in a pile of wasabi crumbs because as people cut into it, they always want more of the peas with the cheese.

But back to Larson's Big Star - I think it's so amusing that they stock these religious prayer candles.  When in need, you can find them in the Spanish foods section!


A sign of the times - Big Star has discontinued one of their few Organic products - Best Choice's Clearly Organic Original Pasta Sauces.  They are on sale if you're in the market for spaghetti sauce!  I'm sorry to see them go, perhaps they are being replaced with a new or better product?  In general, I think folks these days are trending more towards local foods than organic foods - at least I know that I am, but it's still good to have organic products available!  Big Star does, however, sell reusable shopping bags, and they are very friendly and kind towards those shoppers who bring their own bags.  I always apologize when I produce my bags, as I know it disturbs the regular flow at the register, but lately one employee at the Big Star replied, "Not a problem at all, people bring their own bags all the time."  So nice! 



Thank you to Chad Larson for his kind e-mail - I'm glad he noticed that I write about his family's store often!  I highly recommend that all Oxonians consider the Big Star before they make a dash to Kroger (and don't even ask me about Walmart - seriously - don't ask.)  Big Star may be a smaller shop, but the simplicity of it is what really appeals to me.  They have just about everything I need during the week, and I get in and out of there quickly and without having to rearrange shopping carts in the parking lot, and without having to wait in long lines at the register.
I don't mean to sound so down on Kroger - they certainly sell items that I need and I end up shopping there also.  I have to say that the Kroger employees are very, very nice people.  They make shopping at a larger, chain store bearable.

No comments: