Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Show your support for Ravine on Monday, October 5th, 9am on the second floor of the Chancery Court

I was so spoiled this past weekend and got to have Sunday brunch at Ravine, one of my favorite restaurants in Oxford. Everyone loves to visit Oxford and eat on "the square", which is the historic center of downtown. But when you live in Oxford, you can get really tired of the square. It's too packed on football weekends, and there are all these cute places and restaurants that are elsewhere - it's so refreshing to "meander away from the square..."

french crepes with orange zest, strawberries, coconut, and whipped cream (and a side of fried potatoes)
benediction- two poached eggs on muffins with country ham, hollandaise

I feel so bad for the owner of Ravine, up against these crazy liquor laws of Lafayette county. I don't understand why, in the face of this sad economy, Oxford doesn't change their old laws at least to aid potential profits from tourism! Haven't these lawmakers heard of having a mimosa with Sunday brunch?

The latest from Joel at Ravine...

I was hoping to update each of you on our pursuit of a Sunday sales exemption from the state of Mississippi. As well, I am attempting to galvanize more public support for our cause.

I have attempted to work the State tax commission behind the scenes, and to no avail. Apparently, the new chair of the commission, Ed Morgan, has made a political decision to not issue any more Sunday exemptions in Lafayette County. My next option is quite the long shot-- getting the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors to send off a petition to the MSTC, asking for my hours to be amended on Sunday.

I have had two supervisors tell me that there is a lot of opposition against my selling alcohol for six hours on Sunday. I keep asking where all of this anti-alcohol sentiment is coming from, since I have had no one email, write, or call in opposition. No picket lines in front of the restaurant, no sit-ins, etc. I am thus asking those of you who believe in what we're trying to accomplish to come out to the next Supervisor's meeting and support our petition.

My goal in asking this is to demonstrate to the board that there is a significant population, a silent majority, of citizens who have no problem with our having limited Sunday alcohol sales. We are a respectable, responsible, contributing member of the community, and are being unfairly targeted because of others' abuses in the past.

The meeting is Monday, October 5th, at 9 a.m., on the second floor of the Chancery building. I know many of you will be hard at work that day, but if you can take half an hour of your time and be present on our behalf, Cori, myself, and the entire ravine staff would be most grateful.

In any event, I sincerely appreciate all of the encouragement and patience you all have shown throughout this process. Hope to see you on the 5th!

Thanks,

Joel

Joel Miller
ravine
53 cr 321
oxford, ms 38655
oxfordravine.com
662.234.4555

No comments: