Friday, August 14, 2009

The latest news in the case of resort status discrimination facing my favorite Oxford restaurant: Ravine

A letter from Joel Miller:

Hello again,

I try my best to make the mass emails that I send out appealing and pleasant. Alas, I am dealing with the state of Mississippi, and they are attempting to thwart my business plans every step of the way.

I have been informed by the secretary of the MS State Tax Commission that our appeal for Sunday sales will not be considered at all. There was no reason given for this, nor any explanation as to why another business in Lafayette County has full resort status and ravine does not.

For any of you receiving this that may be unaware, resort status can be granted to places in the state, allowing for on-premise alcohol sales. Usually, resort status in Mississippi means that sales may happen 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We were not granted full resort status (nor do we want it) for reasons unknown. Our sales were restricted to regular city of Oxford hours, meaning no Sunday sales. Our appeal to the MSTC was for a small, 10 hour window of sales on Sunday to match our existing business hours.

I plan on appearing before the MSTC at their regular meeting in Madison to inquire as to why we are being arbitrarily discriminated against. As well, I plan on attempting to speak in front of the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors to appeal for their help.

I am sending out this email for 2 reasons: to update those interested on what has been happening, as well as to ask for any advice or help on this matter.

I know that many of you have written appeal letters to the MSTC (all apparently ignored), and have asked me personally why we have restricted resort status while another restaurant in the county has no such restrictions. Also, I have had some people offer to get more involved if necessary.

Well, it is time to become more involved-- I would really like to know why there is a double standard for resort status here in Lafayette County.

If you happen to have experience or knowledge in these matters, let me know. Otherwise, I will keep everyone updated on how you might express your support for ravine more fully to the state.

Thanks for your enduring support,

Joel+Cori+Henry


Joel Miller
ravine
53 cr 321
oxford, ms
38655
oxfordravine.com
662.234.4555

No comments: